Thursday 20 May 2010

CNOC Summer Series 1 - Donadea Forest Park

The first of the CNOC Summer Series was being held in the scrappy forest otherwise known as Donadea.
I knew a lot of it would be on paths and tracks and in the open sections of forest which would mean the orienteering would be fast and furious.
Warming up with David Healy and Niall Ewen in the car park we decide to go out at minute intervals, to up the ante a bit. A quick flip of a coin (or car keys as it was in this case) decides the start order, Niall leading off, David next, and then me bringing up the rear. The running would be excellent :)

I was feeling strong running running out form the start, so i decide as its a local event to throw a bit of caution into the wind and run hard as opposed to slow and steady. (Nothing whatsoever with the fact that i knew there was two fast runners in front of me)

Set out. 1 was fine, took the bad route to 2 leaving me with no attack points but was perhaps slightly shorter, nevermind that though as i missed it anyway. (Click any image to enlarge)





The first interesting development was at 4, where as I was running into the forest I saw Dave and Niall coming out. Started counting in head and discovered my mistake at 2 had cost me some time.

The next bit of contact was catching Niall on the track going from 5 to 6. I passed him coming out of 6 and by this time could see David ahead in the forest. Just followed his line into 7, and when he mucked up a bit on 8 I was right behind him. I decided to try go a bit straighter to 9, Dave ended up in brambles and being caught up a bit. So time was made there.

nothing interesting happened up the track from 9 to 16, with the exception of Dave realising I was in front of him and not behind as he thought.



However at this point I legged it out of 16 too fast and got passed after I ran over the track instead of along it >.< Foolishness.



From there on in it was straight enough side by side running, Dave tried to go the right way to 19 but got screwed over by the gorse and ended up coming in a minute behind me. This is his route for that last section. I leave his route choices for the other controls in for comedy value. I advise watching 16 to 17 on a fast speed for optimal laughter.




Results:
1 Seamus O'Boyle 42:20
2 David Healy 44:28
3 Colm Hill 46::51

Full results
Splitsbrowser
Routegadget (Map)

No comments:

Post a Comment